Indonesian rattan furniture makers to show in High Point
Thomas Russell -- Furniture Today, March 16, 2011
This woven rattan lounge chair and companion footstool are made by PT. Yamakawa Rattan Ind. of West Java, Indonesia, one of several Indonesian manufacturers to show in a new High Point Market pavilion.
HIGH POINT — Eleven Indonesian rattan furniture producers will occupy nearly 10,000 square feet at the April High Point Market in hopes of boosting interest in the category and in the natural resources and production capabilities of their regions.
The 9,800-square-foot space is in the International Home Furnishings Center, C-759.
All of the companies' products are distributed in the U.S. by Georgia-based Dynamic Synergy International in conjunction with Leonard Theosabrata of PT. Cityneon Prima Mandiri. This is the first time the companies have exhibited in the United States, although they have already been selling here.
The companies were selected to be included in the pavilion by the Indonesian government, which is helping them pay for the space over the five-year lease period.
The companies' products have a sustainable story, and much of what will be shown has up-to-date contemporary designs to appeal to younger consumers. The companies include:
• Yamakawa Rattan Industry, a West Java-based producer that was founded in 1950 in Tokyo and has been producing in Indonesia for 10 years. Its line includes dining tables and chairs and occasional chairs.
• PT. Aida Rattan Industry, a West Java-based producer founded in 2003 that makes rattan living room, dining room and bedroom furniture.
• PT. Erlangga Bina Niaga Harmonia, a West Java-based producer of rattan and wicker furniture. Its 300-employee factory turns out 350 containers of finished product a year.
• PT. Alam Calamus, which began operations in 1987 as a producer of rattan mats and gradually grew to include indoor and outdoor furniture. Its line includes indoor and outdoor dining tables and chairs as well as some wooden furniture including European traditional influenced dining chairs and occasional tables.
• CV Kotska Adhi Sentosa, a West Java-based company founded in 2000 that makes living room and dining room chairs as well as occasional tables and storage chests.
• PT Kernel Indonesia Potential, an East Java-based producer founded in 1999 that makes rattan living room, dining room, bedroom, barstools and tables and occasional chairs.
• PT. Kharisma Rotan Mandiri, a Central Java-based manufacturer founded in 1998 that makes rattan living room, dining room, occasional chairs and accent furniture such as chests, footstools and side tables.
• PT Bines Raya, which formed in 1978 as a supplier of rattan raw materials and expanded into high-end wicker furniture production in 1995. Today its line includes armchairs, loveseats, coffee tables, ottomans and hall tables.
Other producers that will be showing include rattan seating specialist PT. Tanamas Industry Communitas, occasional chair and table specialist Surya Abadi Furniture, and rattan and wicker basket producer PT Totum Diba.
Bedding Conference Set for 14-16 May