Pantone selects Radiant Orchid as 2014 Color of the Year
December 5, 2013-- Furniture Today,
CARLSTADT, N.J. — Global color authority Pantone has selected 18-3224 Radiant Orchid as its Color of the Year for 2014.
Pantone’s color of the year for 2014 is Radiant Orchid, which it describes as “an echanting harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones.”
"While the 2013 color of the year, Pantone 17-5641 Emerald, served as a symbol of growth, renewal and prosperity, Radiant Orchid reaches across the color wheel to intrigue the eye and spark the imagination," said Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute. "An invitation to innovation, Radiant Orchid encourages expanded creativity and originality, which is increasingly valued in today's society. An enchanting harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid inspires confidence and emanates great joy, love and health. It is a captivating purple, one that draws you in with its beguiling charm."
An adaptable hue, Radiant Orchid complements olive and deeper hunter greens, and offers a gorgeous combination when paired with turquoise, teal and even light yellows.
Pantone says the vibrant color is sure to liven up neutrals including gray, beige and taupe. Uplifting and bold without being overpowering, Radiant Orchid reenergizes almost any color palette and provides a unifying element for diverse spaces, the organization says.
Pantone 18-3224 Radiant Orchid can also be cross-referenced to all other Pantone Libraries including Pantone Plus for graphic design. For cross-referencing information, see www.pantone.com/ColoroftheYear.
For more than a decade, Pantone's Color of the Year has influenced product development and purchasing decisions in multiple industries, including fashion, home and industrial design, as well as product packaging and graphic design. Past colors include:
• Pantone 17-5641 Emerald (2013)
• Pantone 17-1463 Tangerine Tango (2012)
• Pantone 18-2120 Honeysuckle (2011)
• Pantone 15-5519 Turquoise (2010)
• Pantone 14-0848 Mimosa (2009)
• Pantone 18-3943 Blue Iris (2008)
• Pantone 19-1557 Chili Pepper (2007)
• Pantone 13-1106 Sand Dollar (2006)
• Pantone 15-5217 Blue Turquoise (2005)
• Pantone 17-1456 Tigerlily (2004)
• Pantone 14-4811 Aqua Sky (2003)
• Pantone 19-1664 True Red (2002)
• Pantone 17-2031 Fuchsia Rose (2001)
• Pantone 15-4020 Cerulean (2000)
Related Content By Author
A busy, busy, busy week