Six nominated for American Furniture Hall of Fame
June 2, 2010-- Furniture Today,
Gerald Birnbach, Manuel Capó, Stella Harris, Darrell Harris, Bob Timberlake, Thomas Day, George Massood, Michael Massood
"This year's slate represents some of the best from the breadth of our industry, including retailers, manufacturers, designers and suppliers," Jeff Cook, president of the AFHF Foundation, said in a press release. "Each stands for leadership and innovation in their fields and has positively impacted the home furnishings industry. It is an impressive slate."
The voting period begins June 28 and ends July 30. Only members of the organization are eligible to vote.
Those elected will be installed during the High Point Market at a gala Oct. 17. The organization is based in High Point and can be reached at (336) 882-5900.
The nominees are:
• Gerald Birnbach, who started at Rowe Furniture Co. as a salesman in 1956. Later as chairman, he grew the upholstery manufacturer into a public company listed on the New York Stock Exchange before it was sold to Sun Capital in 2007.
• Manuel Capó (1925-2009), who grew his family business, El Dorado Furniture, into one of the top 50 furniture stores in the United States. All seven of Capó's sons worked with him along with 10 of his 20 grandchildren.
• Thomas Day (1801-1861), who was a free black business owner and master craftsman who became a leading furniture maker in the mid-1800s. His furniture and architectural details reflected Rococo, Gothic and Greek Revival styling. Once commissioned for plantation homes, his designs are now highly prized antiques.
• Darrell and Stella Harris, who founded and have grown Furnitureland South into the world's largest retail furnishings showplace at 1.3 million square feet, and an international furniture destination selling to consumers in more than 50 countries.
• Michael and George Massood, who have worked at MGM Transport for more than 50 years to deliver furniture with efficiency. The Massoods have led innovative concepts including an order consolidation system and full-service assembly and repair facilities. They also are involved in Thomasville Home Furnishings and Bassett Home Furnishings of New Jersey.
• Bob Timberlake, an internationally recognized artist who partnered with Lexington Home Brands in 1990 to create The World of Bob Timberlake furniture line. The groundbreaking success of his theme-based furniture collections reflect his sportsmanship, personality and love for his family.
Related Content By Author
FT/tv: Furniture/Today sets finance workshop for March