Cardi's, Arpin provide typhoon relief
December 20, 2013,
Cardi's and Arpin, along with Caro Trans and the Filipino- American Assn. of Newport County, collected bottled water, canned goods, dry non-perishables and diapers at Cardi's stores in Middletown and West Warwick, R.I., and Swansea, South Attleboro, and Braintree, Mass.
Customers and other supporters came out Nov. 24 for the "drive-thru" style event, and volunteers included the 2013 Rhode Island State Police Training Academy class. The items collected filled seven Arpin tractor-trailers and the goods are now in transit and expected to reach the affected areas of the Philippines by mid to late December.
Cardi's and Arpin have teamed up for other relief drives in the wake of Hurricane Katrina (2005), the Haiti earthquake (2010), Hurricane Sandy (2012) and Oklahoma tornadoes earlier this year.
"We start receiving calls hours after major disasters happen from customers asking us what we will be doing," the Cardi brothers Nick, Ron and Peter said in a statement. "They want to help out in a tangible way. Our locations serve as the drop-off points and we get the message out."
Most Viewed Articles
- Consumer Reports evaluates sofas
- Top 25 furniture manufacturers
- Industry weighs in on Amazon furniture stores
- Are Amazon furniture stores coming?
- Consumer Reports ranks top sofas
- Vaselli launches online mattress company
- American Home Furnishings Hall of Fame Foundati...
- Rent-A-Center pushes back against activist shar...