NFM Texas work starts
Clint Engel -- Furniture Today, October 8, 2012
DALLAS - Nebraska Furniture Mart has broken ground on what it says will be "the largest home furnishings store in North America," a 1.86 million square-foot retail store and distribution center in a north Dallas suburb.
The Nebraska Furniture Mart of Texas, on an approximately 90-acre tract along State Highway 121 in The Colony, will be part of a retail and entertainment center development and is expected to open in spring 2015.
NFM has estimated the store will attract more than 8 million visitors with its more than 160,000 items and will generate $600 million in sales annually - including in non-furniture categories such as electronics and appliances.
At 560,000 square feet with a 1.3 million square-foot distribution center, the two level store will be the largest for Omaha, Neb.-based NFM, part of Berkshire Hathaway's furniture division. NFM operates Nebraska Furniture Mart stores in Omaha and Kansas City, Kan., well as Homemakers Furniture in Des Moines, Iowa.
"We love the growing excitement in the region for our one-of-a-kind home furnishings shopping experience, which will bring something totally new and unique to north Texas," Jeff Lind, NFM's chief strategy and development officer, said in a release.
"Mrs. B (NFM founder Rose Blumkin) was a visionary who paid attention to her customers and taught her family to do the same. We believe Texans will appreciate our entrepreneurial spirit and unique retail experience."
The retailer said it plans to add 2,000 jobs in the market.
"This is a unique opportunity to bring new jobs and tourism to the area, and we expect this one-of-a-kind development will draw people from more than 200 miles away," said The Colony Mayor Joe McCourry.
NFM will be the anchor and developer of a planned $1.5 billion, 433-acre, mixed use development complex located along the south side of State Highway 121 between West Spring Creek Parkway and Plano Parkway. It estimates the entire development will draw 14 million to 16 million people annually.
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...