Las Vegas Market panel to look at specialty sleep truth-in-labeling
Furniture Today Staff -- Furniture Today, December 6, 2012
LAS VEGAS — "Eco-chic" interior designer Sarah Barnard of Sarah Barnard Design in Santa Monica, Calif., will moderate a panel discussion about the value of consumer disclosure labeling in the specialty sleep marketplace at next month's Las Vegas Market.
Panel participants will include Chris Chamberlain, co-founder of The Clean Bedroom, an organic bedding retailer with stores in Maine, California, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York; Barry Cik, founder of Naturepedic, an organic bedding manufacturer with a product labeling program; and a Las Vegas consumer who places a high value on transparent communications when deciding which products to purchase for her home.
The hourlong seminar, open to all market attendees, is set for 4 p.m. Monday, Jan. 28 in World Market Center space C-176 and is sponsored by the Specialty Sleep Assn. The event was created to raise awareness for how using "truth in marketing" of sleep products can help to grow sales among specific groups of consumers, according to Dale Read, SSA president.
The panel will discuss how identifying "what's in a mattress" can be a powerful selling tool for retailers. The group also will provide tips on how stores in the specialty sleep arena can address the product labeling issue, officials said.
"Purchasing safe and environmentally friendly products for the home is a growing priority for many consumers, especially for mothers of young children," said Read. "With the SSA's Environmental & Safety Program, we've done the legwork for the manufacturer and the retailer."
The SSA program has three levels of bedding product seals with levels of requirements. The seals, plus a required SSA Consumer Disclosure Label, appear on mattresses from manufacturers that comply with the program and serve to inform the consumer about the minimum environmental and compliance levels to which a manufacturer claims its products adhere, SSA officials said.
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...