Decade of difference: Bedding makes gains in furniture stores
Retail Bedding Playbook
David Perry -- Furniture Today, December 19, 2012
While key categories like stationary upholstery and master bedroom still command the same percentage of sales in furniture stores today that they did in 2002, the bedding category has increased its clout in the past decade.
In 2002, bedding accounted for 8% of the selling space in furniture stores but generated 11% of total furniture store sales, according to Furniture/Today's 2002 Furniture Store Performance Report.
The latest edition of that report, published this fall, shows that bedding is one of the few categories to command more selling space today than it did in 2002, and, significantly, to generate a higher percentage of sales than its percentage of selling space.
Today, bedding accounts for 9% of the selling space in furniture stores but generates 13% of total sales.
That differential of four percentage points is unmatched. In most product categories, furniture stores today are generating the same percentage of sales - or less - than the percentage of selling space for those categories.
In the stationary upholstery segment, the figures are equal at 23%. In master bedroom, furniture stores today devote 15% of their selling space to that segment but it generates just 13% of sales. Similarly, motion upholstery accounts for 11% of the selling space on furniture store floors today, but accounts for just 9% of sales.
Bedding, in contrast, just keeps getting stronger on furniture store floors. A vibrant category in 2002, it is even more robust in 2012.
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...