Dick Hartley, Hooker Furniture sales rep
Furniture Today Staff -- Furniture Today, February 4, 2013
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Richard Davis "Dick" Hartley, who spent more than three decades with Hooker Furniture, has died at age 90.
Hartley, a lieutenant in the Navy who served as a navigator during World War II, worked for Continental Furniture Co. in High Point as assistant to the president in sales for seven years. He then joined Hooker as the sales representative for North Carolina, staying with the company for 36 years before retiring and moving from High Point to North Myrtle Beach.
Hartley was active in several industry organizations. He was past president of the High Point Furniture Club, past president and board member of Virginia/Carolinas Home Furnishings Representatives Assn. and co-chairman of the first International Home Furnishings Convention in 1965.
He also won several awards and honors for his work, including the Ed Vasburgh Sr. Memorial Award given by Southern Home Furniture Assn. in 1989, the First Citizen of Furniture land USA Lifetime Gold Pass given by the International Home Furnishings Center in 1989 and the Dean of IHFRA award in 1997.
In his spare time, Hartley collected Indian artifacts and in 2000, gave his prehistoric collection to the High Point Museum & Historical Park.
He is survived by his wife, one son, two daughters, four grandchildren, two brothers and several nieces and nephews.
Memorials may be made to St. Stephens Episcopal Church, 801 11th Ave. North, North Myrtle Beach, S.C. 29582, or St. Mary's Episcopal Church, 108 W. Farris Ave., High Point, N.C. 27262.
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...