Stalking horse bid for Carl's Patio to be presented at hearing
Jay McIntosh -- Furniture Today, March 5, 2013
BOCA RATON, Fla. — No qualified competing bids for the assets of retailer Carl's Patio were received before Feb. 28 deadline and the stalking horse bid is set to be presented at a hearing today, according to U.S. Bankruptcy Court records.
The stalking horse bidder is a group led by Paul Otowchits, the retailer's chief operating officer, with investment support from Weinberg Capital Group. The group said earlier it had already signed a purchase agreement for the Florida outdoor home furnishings retailer.
Carl's Patio said in a press release several weeks ago that after the purchase, Otowchits will be named president and the company will continue to use the Carl's Patio name.
The retailer filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Delaware on Jan. 21.
According to court documents, the stalking horse bid for the retailer was valued at about $4.2 million and including the assumption of certain liabilities. Other bids would have to have been at least $145,000 higher than the stalking horse bid to be considered.
Carl's Patio operates 10 stores and a warehouse, court records said.
The company cited several reasons for its bankruptcy filing, including the economic downturn, increased competition, unsuccessful strategic initiatives and "increased fixed costs through store expansion that raised the breakeven level of the company and constricted flexibility in cost saving initiatives in response to demand factors."
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...