ASFD installs board members, updates website
Furniture Today Staff -- Furniture Today, May 13, 2013
HIGH POINT - John Conrad of Powell Co. was installed as the new president of the American Society of Furniture Designers at the group's meeting here late last month.
A board member of the nonprofit organization since 2008, Conrad succeeds Dudley Moore Jr. of Otto & Moore in High Point, who will be board chairman for the next two years.
"It is an honor and privilege to take over the ASFD helm from Dudley Moore. The coming year promises to be one where we build our membership, increase networking and mentoring opportunities, and provide exclusive information supporting our members in building their design careers and our industry in truly ‘Touching Lives by Design,'" Conrad said, referring to the ASFD's new campaign to emphasize the importance of design in the home furnishings industry.
Other officers installed include vice presidents Rick Schroeder, Stanley Furniture, High Point; Fred Schubert, Schubert Design, Altavista, Va.; and Jason Phillips, Phillips Collection, High Point. Newly elected to the executive committee, Phillips has been a board member since 2009. Arto Szabo of Greenwich, Conn., continues as ASFD treasurer.
New directors on the board are C.J. Grudzinskas, Catina Unlimited, Greensboro, N.C.; Timothy O'Hare, H. Thomas Keller Associates, High Point; Katy Skelton, Katy Skelton LLC, Brooklyn, N.Y.
Ongoing directors are Nicholas Blair, Turnkey Products, Chicago; Denis Kissane, Stanley Furniture, High Point; Stephanie Lena, Lena Designs, Phoenix; Matthew Maher, VIA Design, Grand Rapids, Mich.; Jason Payton, Haywood West & Co., High Point; Jonsara Ruth, Jonsara Ruth Studio, Brooklyn, N.Y; Jesse Schopmeyer, American Drew, Valdese, N.C.; Fred Spector, Frederic Spector Design Studio, Providence, R.I.; and Mark Tucker, MT3Dzines LLC, Greensboro, N.C.
Christine Evans continues as executive director of the ASFD.
Meanwhile, the ASFD also has updated its website in conjunction with the Touching Lives by Design initiative.
The updated member centric website at www.asfd.com expands on the existing content to add Designpedia, a glossary of style and design terms used in American furnishings, a monthly trends article and a designer spotlight.
"We desire to provide to the ASFD membership, the industry and consumers a source for topical styling references, major trend movements and influential designers' works we think are consequential for home furnishings to touch individual lives," said Conrad.
In addition to furniture designers, ASFD membership is available to manufacturers, industry professionals, graphic designers and design students.
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...