Selling Sleep: Key Mattress Features
David Perry -- Furniture Today, May 20, 2013
We've asked consumers about these various mattress features several times over the years, and it's interesting to see how the list of features rated "important" or "very important" has changed over time.
Given a tough economy in recent years, it's probably not surprising that "best value for the price" has moved up the list, into the No. 3 position. Moving up into the No. 1 position is a bed that will give the consumer his or her best night's sleep. That feature edges out the previous No. 1, "most comfortable." The 1 percentage point difference is not statistically significant, however.
The overall emphasis on this list of key features has remained stable. Consumers want comfortable, durable and supportive mattresses. They are interested in construction materials and in the relative value of the products.
Applying the findings
Price-oriented mattress ads are the norm, but consumers aren't as concerned about price when choosing a mattress. Price as part of the value equation is No. 3 on consumers' list of key mattress attributes, far behind a bed that will deliver the best night of sleep and is most comfortable.
Retailers should talk more about better sleep and more comfortable sleep in their advertising messages. Those are the things that consumers are most interested in. Retailers who talk consumers' language have a better chance to selling good sleep sets to those consumers.
key mattress features
|Important features when choosing
a new mattress|
% rating important or very important
Source: Furniture/Today and Apartment Therapy 2012 Consumer Survey
- Oct 24, 2013
- Oct 20, 2013
- Oct 18, 2013
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...