Mattress Direct, Tempur-Pedic donate bed to paralyzed LSU coach
Furniture Today Staff -- Furniture Today, August 28, 2013
BATON ROUGE, La. — Chico Garcia, the Louisiana State University cheerleading coach who was paralyzed in 2011 after a boating accident, recently received a new customized adjustable Tempur-Pedic bed.
Tempur-Pedic teamed up with Mattress Direct, a Tempur-Pedic and Serta retailer based here, for the donation.
Garcia, who recently returned home after spending several weeks in a rehabilitation hospital, was looking for a better bed than the twin model issued to him. When Mattress Direct officials learned about Garcia's sleep needs, they contacted Tempur-Pedic, which provided an adjustable bed that Garcia could operate with remote controls.
"He's able to adjust his comfort by using the remote to adjust the air chambers inside the bed," Bill Bradford, a divisional account executive for Tempur-Pedic, told a local television station. Bradford and Ty Hingle of Mattress Direct helped install the new bed at Garcia's home.
Garcia said it is helpful for him to raise the foot of the bed so that he doesn't get swelling in his legs or ankles.
The bed is tied in to Garcia's Wi-Fi network, which is helpful to Garcia, who uses a tablet computer to control the electronics and doors in his house.
Mattress Direct, a member of Serta's America's Mattress network of sleep shops, is involved in a number of charitable programs.
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...