SFC releases fifth annual consumer research study
Cindy W. Hodnett -- Furniture Today, September 3, 2013
CHAPEL HILL, N.C.— The Sustainable Furnishings Council has released the 2013 Green Home Furnishings Study. The report is the SFC's fifth annual consumer research study and is available to SFC members and non-members.
According to the survey, consumers are becoming more environmentally conscious in their purchases and they are willing to pay more for greener products. However, the report also shows that there is a need for retailers and manufacturers to educate consumers about the benefit of sustainable home furnishings.
"The need for greater awareness about the importance of ‘living green' is among the top takeaways from this year's study," said SFC Executive Director Susan Inglis. "Our report shows the consumer is more aware about sustainability, especially as it pertains to energy savings and reclaimed materials, but the need for home furnishings retailers and manufacturers to do more is clear-cut."
Forty-nine percent of the respondents in the 2013 survey stated that they were "definitely interested" or "very interested" in buying green home furnishings if the style and cost was comparable to other options. Forty-six percent of the respondents said that a lack of awareness was the reason they have not purchased green home furnishings.
The SFC is embarking on a national, regional and local marketing campaign that focuses on educating consumers about how they can be better stewards of the environment while creating safe, healthful homes, according to SFC officials.
Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams was the underwriter for the study, conducted by Atlanta-based Impact Consulting Services. To obtain a copy of 2013 Green Home Furnishings Study, contact the SFC offices at (252) 368-1098 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The report is available to non-SFC members for $250 at https://furniturecore.com. Select the Industry Info tab and choose Industry Reports in the dropdown menu.
To learn more about the report, both SFC members and non-members are invited to attend SFC's next Sustainability Essentials webinar; Bob George, president of Impact Consulting Services, will provide an overview of the consumer research study Sept. 12. Visit the "Courses & Events" page at http://www.SustainableFurnishings.org for more information.
- Jul 30, 2013
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...