Mattress Firm sales, earnings rise in second quarter, but same-store sales fall
Larry Thomas -- Furniture Today, September 6, 2013
HOUSTON — Bedding retailer Mattress Firm said second-quarter sales rose 15.5% and profits shot up 40% as the company continued to expand through acquisitions and new store openings.
Same-store sales, however, slipped 0.3%, and the retailer said the figure likely would be flat for its fiscal year.
Net sales for the quarter ended July 30 were $302.5 million, up from $262 million in the same quarter in 2012.
Net income totaled $14.1 million, or 41 cents per share. That was up from $10.1 million, or 30 cents per share, in the comparable quarter.
The company finished the quarter with 1,121 company-owned stores - a net gain of 25 during the quarter -- and has added 64 stores in the first six months of its fiscal year.
Six-month sales and profit figures were similar. Sales rose 22.6% to $578.5 million and net income was up 31.8% to $26.1 million, or 77 cents per share.
Same-store sales for the six months ended July 30 fell 2.5%.
"Our exciting growth story continued in the second quarter of 2013," said Steve Stagner, president and CEO. "We saw revenues increase by 15% over the prior year to $303 million, which evidences that our growth is outpacing the mattress industry, which has experienced mid-single digit growth during the comparable period."
Stagner said he expects sales and store traffic to improve in the second half of the year as the industry increases its advertising spending.
The company, however, has cut its sales and earnings estimates for its fiscal year, which ends Jan. 28.
Sales are now projected at $1.19 billion to $1.21 billion, down from a March projection of $1.24 billion to $1.25 billion.
The new earnings per share projection is $1.66 to $1.74, down from the March projection of $1.81 to $1.89.
In its last fiscal year, Mattress Firm had sales of $1.007 billion and earnings of $1.18 per share.
- Dec 19, 2013
- Dec 17, 2013
- Dec 16, 2013
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...