Greater Metropolitan group raises $10K to help families
Furniture Today Staff -- Furniture Today, September 30, 2013
PARSIPPANY, N.J. - Around 170 golfers and dinner guests helped in the fight against childhood cancer at a summer event here.
The Greater Metropolitan Furnishings Assn. teamed with the Dean Michael Clarizio Cancer Foundation to conduct a golf outing and a dinner at Knoll Country Club, raising $10,000 to help two families offset expenses incurred while their children battle cancer.
Donations of $5,000 each were presented to Alyssa Stanley and the mother and sister of Leo Lezcano, who accepted on his behalf.
To date, the Clarizio Foundation has donated about $315,000 to families and individuals to help with expenses incurred in fighting cancer. The foundation was established after Dean Clarizio, brother of Klaussner sales representative Chris Clarizio, lost his battle with the disease.
"Dean spent his short life reaching out to others," said Alan Granetz, GMFA executive director. "We appreciate being able to continue helping others in his name."
During the day's events, Michael Fischer, president of Fairfield, N.J.-based Sofas Plus, received the GMFA's Meadoff Memorial Award, which is based on fair-mindedness, personal relationships, social consciousness, and support of humane and philanthropic causes.
"The Meadoff Memorial Award for Sportsmanship is one of the most coveted awards in our indu stry, since it is the person, not a position or title, being recognized," said Jordan Greenberg of Apropos based in New York, who presented the award.
Patrick Cory, president of GMFA and a former Meadoff Award recipient, said Fischer is deserving of the honor.
"In good times and bad, busy or not, Michael Fisher is one of those rare individuals who continues to give substantial time and effort to further good causes because it's the right thing to do," Cory said. "He does so with an open heart, without ulterior motives or a concern for recognition. I believe that this is the reason past recipients chose Michael to receive the Meadoff Award this year."
Sponsors for the golf outing included Surya, Powell, Magnussen Home Furnishings, Gans Brothers, Klaussner, Raymour & Flanigan, Advisors Mortgage, Churchill Services, Cap Services, Bagel Box, CDI, F. Romano, Hildeck and J. Carmgnola.
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...