Mobile continues to grow
Furniture Today Staff -- Furniture Today, October 7, 2013
Retail sales conducted through smart phones and tablets grew 24% during the second quarter of 2013, according to com Score, while total e-commerce grew 16% and total retail, through all channels, grew only 5%.
A look at revenue and traffic sources through the San Francisco- based home furnishings eTailer, One Kings Lane, illustrates mobile's growing importance. Sales via smart phones and tablets accounted for 35% of total revenues this July. Two years ago, m-commerce was only 5% of sales. As far as total traffic, mobile's share increased 37 percentage points over the past two years, from 5% in July 2010 to 42% this year. One Kings Lane launched its first iPhone app in 2011 and updated it in June 2013, along with introducing its first iPad app.
Boston-based Way fair predicts its mobile sales will hit an estimated $100 million this year, up from $35 million in 2012. And, those impressive numbers are without a mobile app. Way fair plans to launch its first app in late Fall.